Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1mass noun Immigration to Israel.‘students making aliyah’
- ‘He was professor at the University of California, Berkeley, until making aliyah in 1966.’
- ‘Almost two years after making aliyah, I gave birth to a perfectly healthy baby - but who weighed just over three pounds.’
- ‘When we heard about the Foundation, whose goal was to assist North American Jews in making aliyah, we immediately applied.’
- ‘They were married in 1977, and the next year came on aliyah to Israel, settling four years later in the Jewish Quarter of Jerusalem's Old City.’
- ‘The author made aliyah to Israel with her family nearly five years ago from Monsey, New York.’
- ‘Some families plan for years before making aliyah.’
2The honour of being called upon to read from the Torah.‘I was called up for an aliyah’
- ‘In the early days, during the service, the congregants had the odd practice of auctioning the aliyoth or ‘privileges’ given to certain congregants, the money being used to maintain the synagogue.’
- ‘The first aliyah of any day's reading is customarily reserved for a kohein, the second for a Levite, and priority for subsequent aliyoth is given to people celebrating major life events, such as marriage or the birth of a child.’
- ‘Why am I not insulted that Jewish religious law does not count me as part of a prayer-quorum, or allow me to be publicly called to the Torah for an aliyah?’
- ‘It is a great honor to be given an aliyah when the Torah is read in the synagogue, and it is important to fulfill this mitzvah (commandment) with dignity.’
- ‘We broke through all the stereotypes, all the barriers, and we all experienced a real aliyah together.’
From Hebrew ‘ăliyyāh ‘ascent’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.