Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1archaic Food; nourishment.
nourishment, sustenance, nutriment, subsistence, fare, bread, daily breadView synonyms
- ‘Coke goes on to say estovers signify sustenance, aliment, or nourishment.’
- ‘It certainly shouldn't suggest raiding the frozen food bins at the supermarket, where one is served as much artifice as aliment.’
- ‘Is not truth the natural aliment of the mind, as plainly as the wholesome grain.’
- ‘In a physiological sense, true aliment is to be distinguished as that portion of the food which is capable of being digested and absorbed into the blood.’
financial support, maintenance, support, provision, allowance, keep, upkeep, sustenance, livelihood, subsistence, living expensesView synonyms
- ‘This means that if one partner decided to stop paying the mortgage, household bills or school fees, the other can have an interim agreement for aliment made.’
- ‘Aliment is the sum paid or allowance given in respect of the reciprocal obligation of parents and children, husband and wife, grandparents and grandchildren, to contribute to each other's maintenance.’
- ‘W will accept in any future capitalisation that she should bring into account such sum of periodical payments that she is awarded in excess of her aliment.’
- ‘Once basic aliment has been awarded, it is up to couples to agree top-up payments to cover things such as private school fees, university education or disability allowances.’
- ‘Diane McGeoch, former wife of the co-founder of the Mackays clothing store, is believed to have gained Scotland's biggest ever divorce award, estimated at £8m, plus monthly aliment payments of £11,500.’
Late 15th century: from Latin alimentum, from alere ‘nourish’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.