Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1former term for psychiatrist
- ‘The medical profession complained incessantly about the rules, and in lectures, articles and books alienists argued that they alone possessed the necessary qualifications to judge criminal responsibility.’
- ‘On this side were the ex-physician to the viceroy of Egypt, Franz Pruner-Bey, the former Martinique physician Etienne Rufz de Lavison, and the alienist Louis-Jean Delasiauve.’
- ‘On to this Stoker pasted some new-fangled psychiatric theory, derived from the French alienist Charcot, one of Freud's main precursors.’
- ‘The alienist says that Mr. Dundas is a severe melancholic.’
- ‘Theorists in the first period included travelers, military physicians, and alienists who examined Algerian lunatics and collectively found them less prone to madness than civilized Europeans.’
- 1.1US A psychiatrist who assesses the competence of a defendant in a law court.
- ‘Under the California Penal Code, whenever a defendant pleads not guilty by reason of insanity the court must select and appoint two alienists to examine the defendant and investigate his sanity.’
- ‘And now I know from what sources some of the criminal court alienists of today were derived.’
- ‘The court decided to continue the hearing for another week, during which time the testimony of the alienists will be put in the hands of other medical men, who will in turn observe Mrs. Gage.’
- ‘The alienist thus comes into court with a friendly feeling towards the lawyers for the defense together with a sympathy for the accused.’
- ‘Alienists appointed by the court in insanity cases should be deemed to be the court's own witnesses.’
Mid 19th century: from French aliéniste, based on Latin alienus ‘of another’ (see alien).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.