Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The alleged abduction of a person by an extraterrestrial being.‘victims of alien abduction’[count noun] ‘reports of mysterious UFO sightings and alarming alien abductions’
- ‘The highly respected, intelligent and tenured Harvard psychiatrist has embarrassed his university by very publicly embracing the myth of alien abductions.’
- ‘If the subject matter of alien abduction interests you, then this might be your cup of tea.’
- ‘Was this a mass occurrence of alien abduction?’
- ‘It is an epic saga that weaves together the stories of three families over multiple generations and their crucial roles in the history of alien abductions.’
- ‘They are willing to accept the possibility of alien abduction; I wouldn't be.’
- ‘When I was telling my mother about my sleep paralysis, I told her there was a website that said I was experiencing alien abduction.’
- ‘Although he died in 1982, Dick's themes of government subterfuge, alien abduction, drug-induced altered states and the malleability of identity remain eerie reflections of our contemporary landscape.’
- ‘He loves writing about the supernatural and has written two novels in the last 18 months, one about time travel and the other about alien abduction.’
- ‘In America, the current wave of reports of alien abduction bears a strong resemblance to out of body experiences.’
- ‘Numerous alien abductions occurred throughout the country, and sightings were frequent.’
- ‘You may think that alien abduction is a funny subject, but not everyone does.’
- ‘According to one estimate, no fewer than 5 million Americans have been subjected to alien abductions.’
- ‘It could be deemed irresponsible to encourage patients to believe in alien abduction.’
- ‘Government deception, secret underground bases, unexplained cattle mutilation, secret advance technology and alien abductions are just a few of the many topics covered in this intelligently researched program.’
- ‘With all the reported alien abductions, you might think there would be one high-quality photograph or videotape that would indisputably show aliens in action.’
- ‘We eventually learn that the women were victims of an alien abduction.’
- ‘The artistry and a sometimes humorous approach can't obscure the fact that "Taken" takes alien abductions rather seriously.’
- ‘The story focuses on a self-help group of victims of alien abductions, formed to examine these and other close encounters of various kinds.’
- ‘He plays Eddie, a paranoid man who lands himself in a mental hospital, driven wacky by relentless visions of alien abduction.’
- ‘Yet another alien abduction TV series is heading this way, sporting the usual nosebleeds, little grey men and glowing spheres.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.