Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting organic compounds which combine cyclic structure with aliphatic properties, e.g. cyclohexane and other saturated cyclic hydrocarbons.Compare with aromatic
- ‘Its solubility is very high in polar organic solvents as well as in benzene but it is only sparingly soluble in aliphatic or alicyclic organic solvents like hexane and cyclohexane.’
- ‘Among the 4800 constituents of tobacco smoke, researchers have identified more than 100 alkanes, 150 alkenes and 55 alicyclic hydrocarbons.’
- ‘An alicyclic compound is an organic compound that is both aliphatic and cyclic.’
- ‘The alicyclic compounds have one or more rings.’
- ‘It is the intention of this book to provide an overview of the behaviour of alicyclic compounds in the depth required for an undergraduate chemistry course.’
An alicyclic compound.
- ‘The characteristic that distinguishes benzene from the aliphatics and alicyclics, and that defines the aromatics, is the arrangement of electrons in the ring.’
- ‘In discussing the alkanes as a functional group, the terms aliphatic (for the acyclic alkane substituent) and alicyclic (for the cyclic alkane substituent) are used.’
- ‘The further separation yielded 12 fractions containing aliphatic and alicyclic, 24 containing aromatic and 1 containing nitrogen, sulphur and oxygen containing compounds (NSO fraction).’
- ‘They are immiscible with many organic solvents, particularly linear hydrocarbons and alicyclics like cyclopentane.’
- ‘Further chapters describe useful methods for the synthesis of alicyclics by ring contraction, ring enlargement and transannular cyclization.’
Late 19th century: blend of aliphatic and cyclic.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.