One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A flexible band worn by women and girls to hold back the hair.
- ‘This works best if you wear your hair in a long or choppy fringe or in an Alice band.’
- ‘And he scraped his hair off his face with the help of an Alice band.’
- ‘Styling reinforced this look, with hair in high pony-tails or Alice bands and sunglasses.’
- ‘Then we will hear the shrieks as Alice bands are wrenched from the hair of a thousand girls.’
- ‘In one case he recognised an eight-year-old victim by the Alice band she was wearing.’
Alice, from the name of the heroine of two books by Lewis Carroll.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.