One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The misidentification of a signal frequency, introducing distortion or error.‘high-frequency sounds are prone to aliasing’
- ‘Aliasing refers to an effect that causes different continuous signals to become indistinguishable (or aliases of one another) when sampled.’
- ‘Optical signals were low-pass filtered at 500 Hz to prevent aliasing.’
- ‘Any component of a sampled signal with a frequency above this limit is subject to aliasing.’
- ‘This type of signal distortion is called aliasing.’
- ‘Analog signals are usually low-pass filtered to remove most or all of the components above the Nyquist frequency in order to avoid aliasing.’
The use of aliases to designate files, commands, addresses, or other items.
- ‘It covers IP aliasing, packet filters, and ipchains.’
- ‘Members of the system pay £3 a month for free reception and transmission of internet mail, mail forwarding and mail aliasing.’
- ‘Groff also allows for the aliasing of troff commands, macros and variables to provide alternative names for existing ones.’
- ‘As mentioned earlier, the host machine assumes multiple IP addresses using IP aliasing.’
- ‘Although we had only four actual servers, we relied heavily on IP aliasing to create virtual personalities for each service.’
The distortion of a reproduced image so that curved or inclined lines appear inappropriately jagged, caused by the mapping of a number of points to the same pixel.
- ‘The visual transfer is clear and colorful, but vertical lines still demonstrate some aliasing (they often look like stair steps).’
- ‘The only real complaint I have about the graphics is the game's aliasing and flicker.’
- ‘Standard-definition content looks good, but brings with it the usual artifacts: noise, line aliasing, and occasional interlacing.’
- ‘The worst spots are not that frequent, but the edge enhancement and aliasing are bad enough by themselves to spoil things.’
- ‘As you can see, it looks pretty good, though aliasing is a bit more obvious.’
- ‘The movie does show a few problems from time to time, including some very bad aliasing and haloing, and some occasional moiré patterns, but for the most part the image is very clean and crisp.’
- ‘Other than some aliasing on the car models and in the distant backgrounds, Rallisport features amazing graphics that certainly add to the game's play experience.’
- ‘Otherwise, the graphics are smooth and free of annoying graphical glitches like glaring aliasing or slowdown.’
- ‘A rasterized image of the view from the light's position was rendered, and sampling errors occurred, including jagged edges and aliasing.’
- ‘While you get solid, realistic colors with adequate detail, there is far too much grain, aliasing, and artifacting in the transfer.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.