Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The misidentification of a signal frequency, introducing distortion or error.‘high-frequency sounds are prone to aliasing’
- ‘Optical signals were low-pass filtered at 500 Hz to prevent aliasing.’
- ‘Analog signals are usually low-pass filtered to remove most or all of the components above the Nyquist frequency in order to avoid aliasing.’
- ‘Aliasing refers to an effect that causes different continuous signals to become indistinguishable (or aliases of one another) when sampled.’
- ‘This type of signal distortion is called aliasing.’
- ‘Any component of a sampled signal with a frequency above this limit is subject to aliasing.’
The use of aliases to designate files, commands, addresses, or other items.
- ‘As mentioned earlier, the host machine assumes multiple IP addresses using IP aliasing.’
- ‘It covers IP aliasing, packet filters, and ipchains.’
- ‘Members of the system pay £3 a month for free reception and transmission of internet mail, mail forwarding and mail aliasing.’
- ‘Although we had only four actual servers, we relied heavily on IP aliasing to create virtual personalities for each service.’
- ‘Groff also allows for the aliasing of troff commands, macros and variables to provide alternative names for existing ones.’
The distortion of a reproduced image so that curved or inclined lines appear inappropriately jagged, caused by the mapping of a number of points to the same pixel.
- ‘The only real complaint I have about the graphics is the game's aliasing and flicker.’
- ‘The movie does show a few problems from time to time, including some very bad aliasing and haloing, and some occasional moiré patterns, but for the most part the image is very clean and crisp.’
- ‘The visual transfer is clear and colorful, but vertical lines still demonstrate some aliasing (they often look like stair steps).’
- ‘As you can see, it looks pretty good, though aliasing is a bit more obvious.’
- ‘Other than some aliasing on the car models and in the distant backgrounds, Rallisport features amazing graphics that certainly add to the game's play experience.’
- ‘Otherwise, the graphics are smooth and free of annoying graphical glitches like glaring aliasing or slowdown.’
- ‘The worst spots are not that frequent, but the edge enhancement and aliasing are bad enough by themselves to spoil things.’
- ‘While you get solid, realistic colors with adequate detail, there is far too much grain, aliasing, and artifacting in the transfer.’
- ‘A rasterized image of the view from the light's position was rendered, and sampling errors occurred, including jagged edges and aliasing.’
- ‘Standard-definition content looks good, but brings with it the usual artifacts: noise, line aliasing, and occasional interlacing.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.