One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The misidentification of a signal frequency, introducing distortion or error.‘high-frequency sounds are prone to aliasing’
- ‘Aliasing refers to an effect that causes different continuous signals to become indistinguishable (or aliases of one another) when sampled.’
- ‘Analog signals are usually low-pass filtered to remove most or all of the components above the Nyquist frequency in order to avoid aliasing.’
- ‘Any component of a sampled signal with a frequency above this limit is subject to aliasing.’
- ‘Optical signals were low-pass filtered at 500 Hz to prevent aliasing.’
- ‘This type of signal distortion is called aliasing.’
The use of aliases to designate files, commands, addresses, or other items.
- ‘Although we had only four actual servers, we relied heavily on IP aliasing to create virtual personalities for each service.’
- ‘It covers IP aliasing, packet filters, and ipchains.’
- ‘As mentioned earlier, the host machine assumes multiple IP addresses using IP aliasing.’
- ‘Groff also allows for the aliasing of troff commands, macros and variables to provide alternative names for existing ones.’
- ‘Members of the system pay £3 a month for free reception and transmission of internet mail, mail forwarding and mail aliasing.’
The distortion of a reproduced image so that curved or inclined lines appear inappropriately jagged, caused by the mapping of a number of points to the same pixel.
- ‘As you can see, it looks pretty good, though aliasing is a bit more obvious.’
- ‘The only real complaint I have about the graphics is the game's aliasing and flicker.’
- ‘The worst spots are not that frequent, but the edge enhancement and aliasing are bad enough by themselves to spoil things.’
- ‘Other than some aliasing on the car models and in the distant backgrounds, Rallisport features amazing graphics that certainly add to the game's play experience.’
- ‘A rasterized image of the view from the light's position was rendered, and sampling errors occurred, including jagged edges and aliasing.’
- ‘The movie does show a few problems from time to time, including some very bad aliasing and haloing, and some occasional moiré patterns, but for the most part the image is very clean and crisp.’
- ‘The visual transfer is clear and colorful, but vertical lines still demonstrate some aliasing (they often look like stair steps).’
- ‘Standard-definition content looks good, but brings with it the usual artifacts: noise, line aliasing, and occasional interlacing.’
- ‘While you get solid, realistic colors with adequate detail, there is far too much grain, aliasing, and artifacting in the transfer.’
- ‘Otherwise, the graphics are smooth and free of annoying graphical glitches like glaring aliasing or slowdown.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.