Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The misidentification of a signal frequency, introducing distortion or error.‘high-frequency sounds are prone to aliasing’
- ‘Analog signals are usually low-pass filtered to remove most or all of the components above the Nyquist frequency in order to avoid aliasing.’
- ‘Optical signals were low-pass filtered at 500 Hz to prevent aliasing.’
- ‘Aliasing refers to an effect that causes different continuous signals to become indistinguishable (or aliases of one another) when sampled.’
- ‘This type of signal distortion is called aliasing.’
- ‘Any component of a sampled signal with a frequency above this limit is subject to aliasing.’
The use of aliases to designate files, commands, addresses, or other items.
- ‘It covers IP aliasing, packet filters, and ipchains.’
- ‘As mentioned earlier, the host machine assumes multiple IP addresses using IP aliasing.’
- ‘Groff also allows for the aliasing of troff commands, macros and variables to provide alternative names for existing ones.’
- ‘Although we had only four actual servers, we relied heavily on IP aliasing to create virtual personalities for each service.’
- ‘Members of the system pay £3 a month for free reception and transmission of internet mail, mail forwarding and mail aliasing.’
The distortion of a reproduced image so that curved or inclined lines appear inappropriately jagged, caused by the mapping of a number of points to the same pixel.
- ‘As you can see, it looks pretty good, though aliasing is a bit more obvious.’
- ‘The visual transfer is clear and colorful, but vertical lines still demonstrate some aliasing (they often look like stair steps).’
- ‘Otherwise, the graphics are smooth and free of annoying graphical glitches like glaring aliasing or slowdown.’
- ‘A rasterized image of the view from the light's position was rendered, and sampling errors occurred, including jagged edges and aliasing.’
- ‘Other than some aliasing on the car models and in the distant backgrounds, Rallisport features amazing graphics that certainly add to the game's play experience.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.