One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A process or set of rules to be followed in calculations or other problem-solving operations, especially by a computer.‘a basic algorithm for division’
- ‘One of the first applications of the simplex algorithm was to the determination of an adequate diet that was of least cost.’
- ‘Having established the nature of equilibria, Smale began to think algorithms for their computation.’
- ‘The appropriate degree of adjustment may be helped by nomograms or computer algorithms.’
- ‘The following year he wrote on number theory, making a contribution to the theory of the Euclidean algorithm.’
- ‘The service relies on computer algorithms to select and summarise the stories generating the widest coverage.’
- ‘Mathematicians can use similar algorithms to generate fractals and other forms.’
- ‘Malcev also created a synthesis of the theory of algebras and of algorithms called constructive algebras.’
- ‘All the algorithms to carry out arithmetical operations are presented in this way and no proofs are given.’
- ‘Kleene's research was on the theory of algorithms and recursive functions.’
- ‘He began to study mathematical logic and the theory of algorithms just before 1940.’
- ‘Leibniz considered the possibility of algorithms which would apply to logical argument as well as mathematics.’
- ‘Here there is no unfolding to a single planar component but the algorithm finds an unfolding with four planar components.’
- ‘Another arithmetical result presented by Brahmagupta is his algorithm for computing square roots.’
- ‘The algorithm employs quite elementary arithmetic and is stated by the authors in just 13 lines.’
- ‘This first step is here reduced to a simple algorithm suitable for computer use.’
- ‘An algorithm known as the simplex method can be used to find these optimal strategies, but it will not be pursued here.’
- ‘In fact there are many hybrid systems where asymmetric algorithms are used to distribute keys for symmetric algorithms.’
- ‘I love numbers and always as an amusement, and more seriously than that, invented new algorithms to calculate them.’
- ‘The theory of algorithms and a variety of computational models were developed.’
- ‘He solved cubic equations by extending an algorithm for finding cube roots.’
Late 17th century (denoting the Arabic or decimal notation of numbers): variant (influenced by Greek arithmos ‘number’) of Middle English algorism, via Old French from medieval Latin algorismus. The Arabic source, al-Ḵwārizmī ‘the man of Ḵwārizm’ (now Khiva), was a name given to the 9th-century mathematician Abū Ja‘far Muhammad ibn Mūsa, author of widely translated works on algebra and arithmetic.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.