Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The study of algae.
- ‘Phycology (or algology), a subdiscipline of botany, is the scientific study of algae.’
- ‘The subject-matter, which includes fresh-water and marine algology, comprises a study of the algal groups and their reproduction.’
- ‘The study of algae is called phycology or algology.’
- ‘He is a famous scientist in algology study, and has found 22 new species of algae.’
- ‘The decision to attempt percutaneous chordotomy is made by the patient and physicians experienced in pain-relieving procedures at the department of algology.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.