Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘He proved that every field has an algebraically closed extension field, perhaps his most important single theorem.’
- ‘Some rate Severi's discovery of a base of algebraically independent curves on any surface as his most important contribution.’
- ‘These methods were, to a large extent, motivated by attempts to solve equations algebraically.’
- ‘Lagrange's main object was to find out why cubic and quartic equations could be solved algebraically.’
- ‘The first person known to have solved cubic equations algebraically was del Ferro but he told nobody of his achievement.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.