One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rapid growth of microscopic algae or cyanobacteria in water, often resulting in a coloured scum on the surface.
- ‘It is almost impossible to fish the Lancaster Canal between The Bridges due to a surface algal bloom and weed.’
- ‘That could reduce the invertebrates' predation on algae at the surface, potentially leading to algal blooms and poor water quality.’
- ‘Blue-green algal bloom forms on the surface of water when there are high levels of nutrients present, combined with warm, sunny and calm conditions.’
- ‘This subsequently causes the growth of algal blooms, which remove oxygen.’
- ‘He says this leads to algal blooms and massive seaweed growth, which ends up on the beach, attracting flies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.