Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A rapid growth of microscopic algae or cyanobacteria in water, often resulting in a coloured scum on the surface.
- ‘That could reduce the invertebrates' predation on algae at the surface, potentially leading to algal blooms and poor water quality.’
- ‘Blue-green algal bloom forms on the surface of water when there are high levels of nutrients present, combined with warm, sunny and calm conditions.’
- ‘It is almost impossible to fish the Lancaster Canal between The Bridges due to a surface algal bloom and weed.’
- ‘This subsequently causes the growth of algal blooms, which remove oxygen.’
- ‘He says this leads to algal blooms and massive seaweed growth, which ends up on the beach, attracting flies.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.