Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A transverse magnetohydrodynamic wave travelling in the direction of the magnetic field in a magnetized plasma. The velocity of such waves (the Alfvén velocity or speed) is characteristic for a plasma of given properties.
- ‘The discovery of Alfvén waves is, in many ways, representative of his approach.’
- ‘At the cyclotron frequency the Alfvén wave becomes resonant, and the wavelength goes to zero.’
- ‘In the present experiments only one module of the Alfvén wave antenna system has been used.’
- ‘The Alfvén waves are very important in Space research as well as in current fusion research.’
- ‘Magnetohydrodynamic waves (Alfvén waves) are produced by coupling forces between the magnetic field and highly conductive fluids.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.