One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An uneducated and unthinkingly conservative Australian man.‘only an Alf could be indifferent to the destruction of yet another theatre’
- ‘He savaged suburbia as a wasteland of consumerism and conformity, peopled with 'Alfs'.’
- ‘The racism and bigotry of 'Alfs', they thought, were a product of suburban consumerism and conformity.’
- ‘He is not only an Alf but a colonial to boot.’
- ‘There's not an Alf in sight.’
- ‘Ray is a hustler and an Alf.’
- ‘This is the best time to discover which of your friends are secretly Alfs.’
1960s: abbreviation of the given name Alfred.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.