Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A member of a people inhabiting the Aleutian Islands, other islands in the Bering Sea, and parts of western Alaska.
- ‘It is now illegal to hunt fur seals, except for an exemption allowing Indians, Aleuts, and Eskimos to continue to hunt at a subsistence level.’
- ‘They enslaved the Alaskan native Aleuts to do the hunting.’
- ‘The American Indian or Alaska native classification includes Native Americans, Eskimos, and Aleuts who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. or its territories.’
- ‘These tribes include Eskimo (the largest), Aleuts, Alaska Athabaskan, Tlingit, Haida, Tsimshian, American Indian, and ‘Tribes Not Reported or Specific’.’
- ‘The Native American population, which includes natives of Alaska such as the Inuit and Aleuts, is estimated to consist of over two million people, slightly over 1 percent of the population.’
2[mass noun] The language of the Aleuts, related to Eskimo but now almost extinct.
- ‘‘Alaska’ means ‘Great Land’ in Aleut, but for many of today's Native Americans, it has become a place of great suffering as well.’
- ‘While Aleut is considered a separate language, Eskimo branches into Inuit and Yup'ik.’
- ‘Take Aleut, the language of the Aleutian Islands, west of Alaska, surviving mainly in just one village.’
- ‘The number of Alaskans who speak Aleut has fallen to around 100 from 620 just two decades ago.’
- ‘Aleut is a single language divided at Atka Island into the Eastern and the Western dialects.’
Relating to the Aleuts or their language.
- ‘Fur seals, traditionally a mainstay in the Aleut diet, are declining in number for reasons that are not yet understood.’
- ‘For a look at island history, try the Baranov Museum and its exhibits on Russian, Alutiiq, and Aleut history.’
- ‘An Aleut language expert is consulting with native elders for an appropriate name.’
- ‘On the same day, 1200 Japanese troops went onto Attu and captured 39 Aleut villagers.’
- ‘A lot of our culture was lost because of education and religion that came in, banning the culture of the Aleut people.’
Of unknown origin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.