One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a people inhabiting the Aleutian Islands, other islands in the Bering Sea, and parts of western Alaska.
- ‘These tribes include Eskimo (the largest), Aleuts, Alaska Athabaskan, Tlingit, Haida, Tsimshian, American Indian, and ‘Tribes Not Reported or Specific’.’
- ‘The Native American population, which includes natives of Alaska such as the Inuit and Aleuts, is estimated to consist of over two million people, slightly over 1 percent of the population.’
- ‘It is now illegal to hunt fur seals, except for an exemption allowing Indians, Aleuts, and Eskimos to continue to hunt at a subsistence level.’
- ‘They enslaved the Alaskan native Aleuts to do the hunting.’
- ‘The American Indian or Alaska native classification includes Native Americans, Eskimos, and Aleuts who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. or its territories.’
2mass noun The language of the Aleuts, related to Eskimo but now almost extinct.
- ‘While Aleut is considered a separate language, Eskimo branches into Inuit and Yup'ik.’
- ‘‘Alaska’ means ‘Great Land’ in Aleut, but for many of today's Native Americans, it has become a place of great suffering as well.’
- ‘The number of Alaskans who speak Aleut has fallen to around 100 from 620 just two decades ago.’
- ‘Take Aleut, the language of the Aleutian Islands, west of Alaska, surviving mainly in just one village.’
- ‘Aleut is a single language divided at Atka Island into the Eastern and the Western dialects.’
Relating to the Aleuts or their language.
- ‘For a look at island history, try the Baranov Museum and its exhibits on Russian, Alutiiq, and Aleut history.’
- ‘Fur seals, traditionally a mainstay in the Aleut diet, are declining in number for reasons that are not yet understood.’
- ‘A lot of our culture was lost because of education and religion that came in, banning the culture of the Aleut people.’
- ‘On the same day, 1200 Japanese troops went onto Attu and captured 39 Aleut villagers.’
- ‘An Aleut language expert is consulting with native elders for an appropriate name.’
Of unknown origin.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.