One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a people inhabiting the Aleutian Islands, other islands in the Bering Sea, and parts of western Alaska.
- ‘It is now illegal to hunt fur seals, except for an exemption allowing Indians, Aleuts, and Eskimos to continue to hunt at a subsistence level.’
- ‘The American Indian or Alaska native classification includes Native Americans, Eskimos, and Aleuts who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. or its territories.’
- ‘These tribes include Eskimo (the largest), Aleuts, Alaska Athabaskan, Tlingit, Haida, Tsimshian, American Indian, and ‘Tribes Not Reported or Specific’.’
- ‘They enslaved the Alaskan native Aleuts to do the hunting.’
- ‘The Native American population, which includes natives of Alaska such as the Inuit and Aleuts, is estimated to consist of over two million people, slightly over 1 percent of the population.’
2mass noun The language of the Aleuts, related to Eskimo but now almost extinct.
- ‘Aleut is a single language divided at Atka Island into the Eastern and the Western dialects.’
- ‘While Aleut is considered a separate language, Eskimo branches into Inuit and Yup'ik.’
- ‘The number of Alaskans who speak Aleut has fallen to around 100 from 620 just two decades ago.’
- ‘‘Alaska’ means ‘Great Land’ in Aleut, but for many of today's Native Americans, it has become a place of great suffering as well.’
- ‘Take Aleut, the language of the Aleutian Islands, west of Alaska, surviving mainly in just one village.’
Relating to the Aleuts or their language.
- ‘Fur seals, traditionally a mainstay in the Aleut diet, are declining in number for reasons that are not yet understood.’
- ‘For a look at island history, try the Baranov Museum and its exhibits on Russian, Alutiiq, and Aleut history.’
- ‘A lot of our culture was lost because of education and religion that came in, banning the culture of the Aleut people.’
- ‘On the same day, 1200 Japanese troops went onto Attu and captured 39 Aleut villagers.’
- ‘An Aleut language expert is consulting with native elders for an appropriate name.’
Of unknown origin.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.