One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Protein stored as granules in the cells of plant seeds.as modifier ‘aleurone grains’
- ‘Only intact embryos with no starch or aleurone tissue adhering to the scutellar tissue were used.’
- ‘Endosperm refers to the rest of the seed, i.e. the seed coat, pericarp, aleurone layer, and starchy endosperm.’
- ‘The endosperm, the largest organ in the seed, is surrounded by a single layer of cells, the aleurone layer.’
- ‘Details of endosperm mobilization and aleurone cell death were first described in the nineteenth century by Haberlandt.’
- ‘Expression was more obvious in aleurone cells, the endosperm cells lining the maternal seed coat.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek aleuron ‘flour’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.