One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The quality of being alert.‘Walsall were indebted to the bravery and alertness of their goalkeeper’‘a lack of mental alertness’
vigilance, awareness, watchfulness, attentiveness, attention, circumspection, wariness, chariness, heedfulness, canniness, discretion, prudencequick-wittedness, quick thinking, quickness of mind, sharpness, quickness, keenness, perceptiveness, responsiveness, agility, acuteness, acuity, shrewdness, astuteness, intelligence, insight, presence of mindView synonyms
- ‘Travelers to such destinations practice extra alertness, precaution and prudence.’
- ‘Nonetheless, he said, police would maintain a high degree of alertness.’
- ‘Anything related to Taiwan's survival should be heeded with special alertness.’
- ‘Fire has caused £30,000 damage to a woollen waste mill, and it could have been worse but for the alertness of a teenage girl.’
- ‘Clydebank looked as though they had done enough for another valuable point, but they reckoned without the alertness of Alan Neil.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.