Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Depending on the throw of a dice or on chance; random.
fortuitous, chance, occurring by accident, occurring by chance, adventitious, fluky, coincidental, casual, serendipitous, random, aleatoryView synonyms
- ‘Fortunately, some cosmologists have lately begun to consider models in which the ‘initial conditions’ are aleatoric and hence far from simple.’
- ‘It is presumed that the very creation of life spawned from the song of its constant aleatoric mutations.’
- ‘However, such aleatoric work is not necessarily the only way forward.’
- ‘Thus the rigorous intellectualism of serialism and the freedom of aleatoric processes are not paradoxical, but stem from the same mindset.’
- ‘It therefore refers to what is aleatory, temporal and in course of development.’
- 1.1Relating to or denoting music or other forms of art involving elements of random choice (sometimes using statistical or computer techniques) during their composition, production, or performance.‘aleatory music’‘a photograph can capture the aleatory chaos of modern urban life’
- ‘In his later works he experimented with electronic music, while aleatory techniques form the basis of two major orchestral scores from 1967.’
- ‘After several unsatisfactory attempts, this has now become an aleatory section.’
- ‘They were intrigued and learned something new about Mozart and aleatory music.’
- ‘So aleatoric poetry could be described with historical exactitude as a rigmarole.’
- ‘All of these elements are combined into seemingly aleatory compositions that, like fractals, operate on several scales at once.’
Late 17th century: from Latin aleatorius, from aleator dice player, from alea die, + -y.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.