One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A corticosteroid hormone which stimulates absorption of sodium by the kidneys and so regulates water and salt balance.
- ‘The liver is involved in the metabolism and breakdown of many hormones (eg, estrogen, testosterone, aldosterone, thyroid hormones) and vitamin D.’
- ‘These hormones include adrenaline, norepinephrine, aldosterone and corticosteroids (cortisone).’
- ‘It is believed that the formation of melanin is regulated by aldosterone, which is the most active mineralocorticoid hormone secreted by the adrenal cortex.’
- ‘Progesterone also increases sodium and water excretion in females because of competition between progesterone and aldosterone, a kidney hormone that regulates water balance.’
- ‘One such hormone is aldosterone, which manages your body's balance of sodium, potassium and water.’
1950s: blend of aldehyde and steroid, + -one.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.