One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A brownish insect that lives near water and has predatory aquatic larvae.
Family Sialidae, order Neuroptera: several genera
- ‘This is a very small order of Australian insects commonly known as alderflies and dobsonflies.’
- ‘Most alderfly investigations have been in the temperate regions of North America and Europe.’
- ‘The alderfly pupa isn't available to fish, as the larva crawls out of the water onto shore before pupating.’
- ‘The alderfly larvae, known to all and coveted by fish and anglers alike, is the hellgrammite.’
- ‘Larvae of alderflies differ from hellgrammites in that they lack the two hooks at the end of the abdomen.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.