Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A brownish fly-like insect that lives near water and has predatory aquatic larvae.
- ‘The alderfly larvae, known to all and coveted by fish and anglers alike, is the hellgrammite.’
- ‘Most alderfly investigations have been in the temperate regions of North America and Europe.’
- ‘Larvae of alderflies differ from hellgrammites in that they lack the two hooks at the end of the abdomen.’
- ‘The alderfly pupa isn't available to fish, as the larva crawls out of the water onto shore before pupating.’
- ‘This is a very small order of Australian insects commonly known as alderflies and dobsonflies.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.