Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘They were then treated with 0.5 M NH 4 Cl in phosphate buffer for 2 h to block free aldehydic groups.’
- ‘The aldehydic proton gives a strongly deshielded resonance signal in the H - 1 NMR spectrum.’
- ‘Reactions that occur between the aldehydic groups and other amino acids of adjoining molecules lead to cross-links between the molecules and the self-assembly into fibers.’
- ‘The components have high absorption characteristics resulting from the presence of carboxylic, hydroxylic, and aldehydic functional groups.’
- ‘Oxidized wines smell flat and aldehydic.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.