One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant of a genus that includes lady's mantle and its relatives.
Genus Alchemilla, family Rosaceae
- ‘By far the most common alchemilla in most of Britain today is the robust garden plant Alchemilla Mollis.’
- ‘The queen is so close I can practically smell the bouquet of white alchemilla she's holding.’
- ‘Some of her favorite perennials include: Achillea, lobelia, alchemilla and tritoma.’
- ‘Euphorbia, hedera and alchemilla are prime examples.’
- ‘The outside comes in, in ad hoc bunches of alchemilla and marguerites, new potatoes, dill, basil, and bunches of mint, we wander out with cups of tea and notebooks.’
Modern Latin, from a medieval Latin diminutive of alchimia ‘alchemy’, from the belief that dew from the leaves of the plant could turn base metals into gold.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.