Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘It is interesting that two centuries ago, when science was evolving past the alchemic level, scientists thought that it wouldn't be long before all the mysteries of the universe would be uncovered.’
- ‘In conjunction with the human voices on the soundtrack, the video installation indexes life as a process in between solidity and liquidity, in exchange and alchemic reaction.’
- ‘With a fine and deft delicacy, nature and landscape are imbued with a soft surrealism, edging towards an alchemic, almost spiritual symbolism.’
- ‘We should all remember that senior civil servants and their political masters work together by some alchemic and creative tension to govern not just a company, but the country.’
- ‘But he did devote two prime decades to the minor if alchemic art of movie acting.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.