Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Using or denoting a verse metre occurring in four-line stanzas.
- ‘He turned it down, but the first six odes of Book III, very serious - minded and written in alcaic metre, are closely aligned with Augustus’ policies.’
- ‘It was monodic, and was composed in a variety of lyric metres in two or four-line stanzas, including the alcaic stanza, named after him.’
- ‘There aren't many intact alcaic stanzas, but it is an important one [(Horace used in in his Odes [e.g.,])] and you should be familiar with it.’
- ‘Auden's elegy for Sigmund Freud follows the alcaic syllable-count (though not its rhythm).’
- ‘The paper will also attend to some critical implications of the meter's movement, and will end by pointing to successors of Auden - poets like John Hollander and Marilyn Hacker - who followed his example and took up the alcaic meter in their own verses.’
- ‘He employed the classical elegiacs and alcaics with ease, and was equally at home with trochaic and iambic lines.’
- ‘In translating the odes, for example, I kept to their syllabic count and tried to engender rhythms akin to but not identical with those engendered by alcaics in German.’
- ‘The first six odes of Book 3 are sometimes referred to as the Roman Odes, written in stately alcaics in elevated style on patriotic themes.’
- ‘Later, he was taught to turn English verse into alcaics and sapphics in Horatian style, as well as imitating Virgil, Ovid and the Greek tragedians.’
- ‘According to the Speccie he knows the difference ‘between a tribrach and a molossus, a sapphic and an alcaic’.’
Mid 17th century: via late Latin from Greek alkaikos, from Alkaios (see Alcaeus).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.