One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A simple form of protein that is soluble in water and coagulable by heat, such as that found in egg white, milk, and (in particular) blood serum.‘analysis showed traces of haemoglobin and serum albumin’count noun ‘human and baboon albumins’
- ‘In these cases the blood levels of total protein and albumin are low.’
- ‘This leads to a relatively simple RRS of albumin in which selectively enhanced vibrations dominate.’
- ‘The body eliminates bilirubin by transporting it to the liver bound to albumin in the serum.’
- ‘At physiologic pH, bilirubin is insoluble in plasma and requires protein binding with albumin.’
- ‘A portion of the extract was used to estimate for soluble protein using bovine serum albumin as standard.’
- ‘Protein content was determined using the Bradford method with bovine serum albumin as the standard.’
- ‘They tested the livers for the presence of human albumin, a protein produced only by liver cells.’
- ‘Serum albumins such as bovine serum albumin and human serum albumins are plasma proteins contributing significantly to physiological functions and act as carrier proteins.’
- ‘The results were also verified by examining the spectra of two purified proteins, albumin and lysozyme.’
- ‘Wheat also contains two other proteins, albumin and globulin, which are soluble in water and dissolve when the flour is wetted.’
- ‘Concentrations of SP-A were estimated by the fluorescamine method using bovine serum albumin as a standard.’
- ‘An alternative method is measurement of the ratio of protein or albumin to creatinine in an untimed urine specimen.’
- ‘Bovine serum albumin was used as a protein standard.’
- ‘The latter phenomenon has also been found for other proteins, such as bovine serum albumin and human serum albumin.’
- ‘A second method involves the use of thermally modifiable adjuncts such as serum albumin.’
- ‘Protein, acetone, albumin, bile salts are also checked once in two months to evaluate kidney functioning.’
- ‘The protein, albumin, normally carries nutrients to tumors that help them to grow.’
- ‘Fucose was ligated to bovine serum albumin and antibodies were raised against the conjugate.’
- ‘Normal urinary proteins include albumin, serum globulins, and proteins secreted by the nephron.’
- ‘RB has modest affinity for nucleic acid and little affinity for albumin or either phospholipid.’
Mid 19th century: from French albumine, based on Latin albumen, albumin- (see albumen).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.