One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The proportion of the incident light or radiation that is reflected by a surface, typically that of a planet or moon.‘the lunar maria have a lower albedo than the surrounding terrain’
- ‘Taking characteristic values for the average albedo (the fraction of sunlight reflected), size limits could be calculated.’
- ‘Decades of photometry have been interpreted to derive maps of Pluto's surface reflectance, or albedo.’
- ‘As more and more snow and ice accumulates year on year, so the reflectivity or albedo of the surface is increased, causing summer sunshine to have even less impact and accelerating the growth of ice sheets and glaciers.’
- ‘These aerosols are reflective and increase the albedo of the planet.’
- ‘This relation largely depends on the albedo of the surface surrounding the receiver and on the solar elevation angle.’
Mid 19th century: ecclesiastical Latin, ‘whiteness’, from Latin albus ‘white’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.