Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A clock with a device that can be made to sound at the time set in advance, used to wake someone up.
- ‘Go to bed every night at the same time and wake up without an alarm clock at the same time every morning?’
- ‘It rained so hard last night that it woke me up - not bad considering even my alarm clock rarely wakes me.’
- ‘My alarm clock woke me up at eight, so I had time to take a shower and wake up quietly.’
- ‘I am always afraid that one morning the alarm clock will ring and I will wake up and find I am in Kent.’
- ‘She wanted it to go on longer, but they were interrupted by the sound of her alarm clock.’
- ‘And 61 per cent of York residents find it easier to wake up to an alarm clock than a radio.’
- ‘The sudden unexpected sound of the alarm clock woke Meg up and caused her to fall off her bed.’
- ‘He yells to make himself heard over the sounds of the despicable alarm clock.’
- ‘This type of fellow does not care for tourists, takes his coffee black and wakes each morning in the dark without an alarm clock.’
- ‘When my alarm clock began ringing for me to wake up, I shut it off, and got out of bed.’
- ‘I woke to hear my alarm clock shrilling at me and after shutting it off I went to have a shower and put some make up on.’
- ‘The next morning I woke up to my alarm clock, excited to see what my hair looked like.’
- ‘The trusty alarm clock could wake you at any time with only the day's News that you want to hear.’
- ‘As the alarm clock had also woken her, I decided that I should share the details of my dream with her.’
- ‘He had an alarm clock on a shelf just above his device that has been beeping for the past hour or so.’
- ‘I woke up to my alarm clock buzzing in my ear, it took me a few minutes to realize where I was.’
- ‘However, what happened was the cat decided to be an alarm clock for me and woke me up at my usual time asking for food.’
- ‘One bird had the same rhythm and sound as my alarm clock and kept waking me up.’
- ‘The alarm clock woke me up with an ear piercing ring and a few ascending beeps.’
- ‘I slept through the alarm clock and was woken by hammering on the door.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.