One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A clock with a device that can be made to sound at the time set in advance, used to wake someone up.
- ‘She wanted it to go on longer, but they were interrupted by the sound of her alarm clock.’
- ‘As the alarm clock had also woken her, I decided that I should share the details of my dream with her.’
- ‘My alarm clock woke me up at eight, so I had time to take a shower and wake up quietly.’
- ‘Go to bed every night at the same time and wake up without an alarm clock at the same time every morning?’
- ‘I woke up to my alarm clock buzzing in my ear, it took me a few minutes to realize where I was.’
- ‘And 61 per cent of York residents find it easier to wake up to an alarm clock than a radio.’
- ‘I slept through the alarm clock and was woken by hammering on the door.’
- ‘The alarm clock woke me up with an ear piercing ring and a few ascending beeps.’
- ‘When my alarm clock began ringing for me to wake up, I shut it off, and got out of bed.’
- ‘The trusty alarm clock could wake you at any time with only the day's News that you want to hear.’
- ‘He had an alarm clock on a shelf just above his device that has been beeping for the past hour or so.’
- ‘I am always afraid that one morning the alarm clock will ring and I will wake up and find I am in Kent.’
- ‘One bird had the same rhythm and sound as my alarm clock and kept waking me up.’
- ‘The sudden unexpected sound of the alarm clock woke Meg up and caused her to fall off her bed.’
- ‘This type of fellow does not care for tourists, takes his coffee black and wakes each morning in the dark without an alarm clock.’
- ‘He yells to make himself heard over the sounds of the despicable alarm clock.’
- ‘The next morning I woke up to my alarm clock, excited to see what my hair looked like.’
- ‘It rained so hard last night that it woke me up - not bad considering even my alarm clock rarely wakes me.’
- ‘I woke to hear my alarm clock shrilling at me and after shutting it off I went to have a shower and put some make up on.’
- ‘However, what happened was the cat decided to be an alarm clock for me and woke me up at my usual time asking for food.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.