One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A quality or object enabling its holder to gratify any wish.‘his charm was his Aladdin's lamp’
- ‘Let it be the most wonderful reminder to you to think thoughts only of what you want, and to know that the Grand Genie of the Universe is serving you in every moment of your life. The Secret Lamp is your real-life Aladdin's Lamp.’
- ‘One suspects that if GHA coach David Wilson could find Aladdin's lamp then his first wish would be to reverse this early set-back and the psychological damage it must have caused his team.’
- ‘As a child, I'd imagine them popping out of Aladdin's lamp, granting wishes.’
- ‘It resembles a palm-size Aladdin's lamp and is found at most natural food stores.’
- ‘From the statue of liberty to Aladdin's lamp, Dhoka's has an amazing collection of perfume bottles.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.