One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The Palestinian term for the events of 1948, when many Palestinians were displaced by the creation of the new state of Israel.
- ‘Independence Day for Israel is known as al-Nakba, or the "catastrophe," for Arabs.’
- ‘May 15, 1948 is the day of independence for the Jews, but the same day is al-Nakba, the catastrophe, for the Palestinians.’
- ‘He talked a great deal about al-Nakba (the "Catastrophe") and its devastating continual effect.’
- ‘This history includes al-Nakba("the Catastrophe") of 1948 and Israel's expansion in 1967.’
- ‘For Arabs generally, the war is al-Nakba - the catastrophe.’
Arabic, literally ‘the disaster’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.