One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An inhabitant of Akkad.
- ‘The Sumerians, Akkadians, Mesopotamians and Ancient Egyptians certainly enjoyed them.’
- ‘Once the inhabitants, the Sumerians and the Akkadians, figured out how to irrigate the river valleys by building canals between the two rivers, the region became the bread bowl of the ancient world.’
- ‘While the Sumerians, Babylonians, Akkadians and other groups were busy creating a Mesopotamian civilization in the Fertile Crescent of the Ancient Near East, another civilization had appeared to the west.’
- ‘Syria was settled successively by the Akkadians, Arameans, and Canaanites, and formed a valuable province of successive empires, from the Phoenicians to the Byzantines.’
- ‘The first group of people to take over the Mesopotamia region was the Akkadians.’
2mass noun The extinct language of Akkad, written in cuneiform, with two dialects, Assyrian and Babylonian, widely used from about 3500 BC. It is the oldest Semitic language for which records exist.
- ‘They were Sumerian and Akkadian words inscribed in parallel columns on clay tablets in cuneiform writing and were organized thematically.’
- ‘He says that she has heard him speak in High German, Akkadian, and Aramaic which Peter interprets as his going backward through many past lives.’
- ‘The cosmopolitan nature of the city is evident from the presence of documents written in Ugaritic, Akkadian, Hittite, Egyptian, Hurrian, and even Cypro-Minoan.’
- ‘From about 2500 BC onwards, the cuneiform script was also used to write Akkadian and Eblaite, which are Semitic languages.’
- ‘However, in 1927 Neugebauer decided that he wanted to research into Babylonian mathematics and, to enable him to do so, he learnt Akkadian which is the language in which the Babylonians wrote their tablets.’
Relating to Akkad or its language.
- ‘This period is marked by the hegemony of the Sumerians under the leadership of Ur-Nammu, founder of the Third Dynasty of Ur, who conquered other Sumerian and Akkadian city-states.’
- ‘How could the loss of mere objects - the bird sculptures from Nemrik, the Uruk Vase, the Akkadian copper head - provoke such a profound human emotion?’
- ‘The Sumerians, however, revolted against Akkadian rule and by 2100 BC they were back in control.’
- ‘The most famous literary works to emerge from this tradition are the Epic of Gilgamesh (an Akkadian hero tale) and The Thousand and One Nights (a collection of Arab folk tales).’
- ‘The gods ruled the world of men through their earthly representatives, and in the case of the Akkadian kingdom, this meant Sargon.’
- ‘Yet neither the Sumerian nor the Akkadian system was a positional system and this advance by the Babylonians was undoubtedly their greatest achievement in terms of developing the number system.’
- ‘This ‘Succession Myth’ has striking parallels in Akkadian and Hittite texts, and seems originally to have come from the near east.’
- ‘Many of these cities became quite powerful, and as described earlier, by the beginning of the 23rd century B.C. the Akkadian king Sargon had established a far-flung empire which included Sumer, Akkad, and other lands much further afield.’
- ‘Lucy is as pretty as an Akkadian bass relief.’
- ‘Imperial rule under Sargon and his Akkadian regime obliged local communities to squeeze out a surplus for the dominant city.’
- ‘She taught him Egyptian hieroglyphics; he perfected her Akkadian language.’
- ‘The Initiative for Cuneiform Encoding is an international group organised for the purpose of developing a standard computer encoding for Sumero / Akkadian cuneiform.’
- ‘A seal of the Akkadian period refers to its owner as ‘Silusu, Meluhha interpreter’.’
- ‘The Anchor Bible Dictionary notes these facts: ‘Lilith ‘comes from an Akkadian word lilitu, which was used of lesser deities in Mesopotamia.’’
- ‘The world's oldest copper casting, the bust of an Akkadian king, dates from 2300 BC.’
- ‘The famous copper head of an Akkadian ruler, perhaps Naramsin, who ruled the entirety of Mesopotamia in 2254-2218 B.C., is a fine example of this type and fortunately has survived the looting.’
- ‘Ancient Egyptian civilization is also discussed in Lecture 4, along with the Akkadian kingdom and Hebrew civilization. copyright © 2000 Steven Kreis’
- ‘To be fair, the Akkadian empire didn't even come into existence for another 650 or so years, but just go with it.’
- ‘Sitchin promotes himself as a Biblical scholar and master of ancient languages, but his real mastery was in making up his own translations of Biblical texts to support his readings of Sumerian and Akkadian writings.’
- ‘Its genre, fictional autobiography, goes back to Akkadian literature.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.