Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in Indian religion) a supposed all-pervading field in the ether in which a record of past events is imprinted.
- ‘Prana acting on akasha is creating or projecting the universe.’
- ‘That great, unborn Self, which is identified with the intellect and which dwells in the midst of the organs, lies in the akasha within the heart.’
- ‘The elements - spirit or akasha, The Hindu tattwas, The Tibetan elements, The Chinese Wu-Hsing - The five elemental activities’
- ‘These five pure colors are considered to be associated with the five elements: earth, water, fire, air and ether, or akasha.’
- ‘He who knows it as existing in the cave of the heart, in the transcendent akasha realizes all his desires along with the Omniscient Brahman.’
- ‘In Hindu mysticism, Lord Murugan rides through the akasha on a peacock.’
From Sanskrit ākāśa.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.