One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of a Sikh political group.
- ‘They said that rivalry between two Akali leaders had led to this condition and the model school at Jawaharsinghwala village was developed at the cost of this school.’
- ‘Chief Minister Prakash Singh Badal has made a valiant attempt to put Sikh, or rather Akali, particularism in a national framework.’
- ‘Philosophically speaking, Akali and Khalsa and Sikh are synonymous.’
- ‘Every time this undemocratic demand gets checkmated by other political parties through democratic means, the Akalis reserve the right to revert back to quasi-secessionist sentiment.’
- ‘Political interference in religious matters of the Sikh community by the Akalis witnessed many unpleasant happenings in the last three years.’
From Punjabi akālī, literally ‘follower of the Immortal One’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.