One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of a Sikh political group.
- ‘Political interference in religious matters of the Sikh community by the Akalis witnessed many unpleasant happenings in the last three years.’
- ‘Every time this undemocratic demand gets checkmated by other political parties through democratic means, the Akalis reserve the right to revert back to quasi-secessionist sentiment.’
- ‘Philosophically speaking, Akali and Khalsa and Sikh are synonymous.’
- ‘They said that rivalry between two Akali leaders had led to this condition and the model school at Jawaharsinghwala village was developed at the cost of this school.’
- ‘Chief Minister Prakash Singh Badal has made a valiant attempt to put Sikh, or rather Akali, particularism in a national framework.’
From Punjabi akālī, literally ‘follower of the Immortal One’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.