One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A female pilot or member of the crew of an aircraft, especially in an air force.
- ‘The 36-year-old American airwoman has landed after completing a solo flight of 2,300 miles across the Pacific from Honolulu.’
- ‘She was well known as an airwoman in the early days of flying and in 1930 was created a dame of the British empire for her services to aviation.’
- ‘An American airwoman becomes the first woman to fly faster than the speed of sound.’
- ‘Amelia Earhart, 36-year-old American airwoman and the first woman to fly the Atlantic, landed here at 1:30 this afternoon.’
- ‘Mail addressed to "Miss Amy Johnson, Famous Airwoman" arrived at the right house.’
- ‘Storms over the Pacific today forced America's premier airwoman to abandon her plan to start on her 27,000-mile round-the-world flight.’
- ‘The study would also put the Yorkshire-born pioneer airwoman, the first woman to fly alone to Australia from England, in the unlikely class of more subdued people.’
- 1.1 A female member of the RAF below commissioned rank.
- ‘Several airmen and airwomen from the Combat Air Lift Unit have been presented with certificates by a top-ranking member of the US Air Force.’
- ‘This is our first article in what will be a regular series about jobs for airmen, airwomen, and officers in the Air Force.’
- ‘Over recent weeks I have attended special farewell ceremonies for the sailors, soldiers and airmen and airwomen deploying under this operation.’
- ‘She joined the RAF in 1997 as an airwoman.’
- ‘Following the service, the Squadron Associations will present their annual awards to selected officers, airmen and airwomen.’
- ‘Our troops constructed a base for 5,000 airmen and airwomen.’
- ‘As a former Captain in the U.S. Air Force myself, I shared a willingness to protect and defend the United States of America with all my fellow airwomen.’
- ‘As a Squadron Officer of the Women's Auxiliary Air Force, she motorcycled and flew to look after hundreds of airwomen in remote radar stations, and was twice mentioned in despatches.’
- ‘The Air Force provides many different opportunities for airmen and airwomen.’
- ‘"Scotland's soldiers, sailors and airmen and airwomen are among the best in the world, and their bravery, loyalty and professionalism deserves our wholehearted care and support."’
- ‘The book lists the names of those 18,000 officers, non-commissioned officers, airmen and airwomen stationed in North Yorkshire who were killed in action in the Second World War.’
- ‘All enquiries should be made in writing giving the full name, rank and service number, where possible, of the airman/airwoman.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.