One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An area of land set aside for the take-off, landing, and maintenance of aircraft.
- ‘What if no developed airfields exist and only military aircraft can reach the theater?’
- ‘The meadow is now an oasis for wildlife surrounded by arable land and an old airfield.’
- ‘By the end of June, excluding an emergency landing strip, ten airfields had been built in the beachhead area.’
- ‘Pilot error has been cited as the likely cause of a crash which occurred as a plane took off from an airfield near Keighley.’
- ‘As our flight of ten cleared the hills west of the airfield, we caused a panic at the field.’
- ‘The team performed their aerial display, then broke off to deploy their parachutes and land back at the airfield.’
- ‘At 61, his hair is a little gray, but he still looks like he could jump out of planes and take down airfields.’
- ‘This guy probably popped up from one of the little grass airfields in the area.’
- ‘And they had an American aircraft land on one of their airfields without permission.’
- ‘Rob taxied the Concorde to an unlit area at the end of the airfield and throttled back the engines to wait.’
- ‘In Gippsland the aircraft fly out of airfields of Latrobe Valley, West Sale and Bairnsdale to assist during fires.’
- ‘They could have sent up fighter aircraft from nearby airfields, denying the Nazis a clear sky from which to bomb and strafe the city.’
- ‘He started several airfields in the Los Angeles area and operated a variety of aircraft.’
- ‘It can fly off a ramp or an airfield and land on a field the size of a soccer pitch.’
- ‘At first the airfield was a grass landing area and work had not even started on hard runways when the base was opened.’
- ‘But the pilot of the twin engine veteran aircraft went on to make a safe landing back at the airfield he had taken off from.’
- ‘Meanwhile the 82nd was attacking rail traffic and found two Luftwaffe airfields empty of aircraft.’
- ‘They can land on airfields of any category, including ground and water surfaces.’
- ‘That runway is now called number one runway, and the airfield is called Heathrow!’
- ‘Forays were also made to Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, and Greece to bomb airfields and ports used by the Germans.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.