One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large warship with a deck from which aircraft can take off and land.
- ‘He is, after all, a Navy veteran, thought he was landing on an aircraft carrier, perhaps.’
- ‘They also learnt the lesson that the aircraft carrier rather than the battleship was to be crucial to victory in naval warfare.’
- ‘This will allow Portsmouth Naval Base to handle the new generation of warships, particularly the future aircraft carrier.’
- ‘But within a year the aircraft was involved in an accident while landing on the aircraft carrier, HMS Ocean.’
- ‘Three hours later, the American aircraft carrier, the U.S.S Wasp, drifted into position.’
- ‘Four people suffered minor injures when a crane toppled on to the flight deck of aircraft carrier HMS Invincible.’
- ‘Flight deck operations on an aircraft carrier are about as stressful as actual combat.’
- ‘It was obvious that the aircraft carrier would be integral to this vision.’
- ‘Moreover, public support for the acquisition of an aircraft carrier seems high.’
- ‘This includes an aircraft carrier, four frigates, two destroyers, other ships and group troops.’
- ‘Ever wondered what it's like to land on an aircraft carrier?’
- ‘Wartime plans to construct an aircraft carrier out of ice left one Navy News reader bemused - but the tale is true.’
- ‘Plus, every parking space seems as big as an aircraft carrier flight deck.’
- ‘Another friend is currently serving as a senior officer on an aircraft carrier for the Royal Navy.’
- ‘This is a legacy of the Second World War, in which the aircraft carrier replaced the battleship as the capital ship of fleets.’
- ‘The royal party watched a dynamic display of aerial and aquatic action from the flight deck of aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal.’
- ‘They either undershot or overshot whilst attempting to land on an aircraft carrier.’
- ‘On an aircraft carrier, it could take you a month just to find your way around.’
- ‘It will give the UK an aircraft that can take off from an aircraft carrier and provide the agility of a light fighter with the punch of a bomber.’
- ‘Yamamoto saw the aircraft carrier as supporting the battleship rather than the other way round.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.