One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A safety device fitted inside a road vehicle, consisting of a cushion designed to inflate rapidly and protect passengers from impact in the event of a collision.
- ‘The bike hit her silver Ford Mondeo causing the air bag to inflate and Mrs Brown struggled out.’
- ‘A rear-facing safety seat must not be placed in the front passenger seat of any vehicle that has an air bag on the passenger side.’
- ‘Mayday/safety features include having the vehicle automatically place a call to a 911 operator when an air bag triggers.’
- ‘An air bag is designed to protect a driver or passenger in the event that an accident occurs.’
- ‘I think the air bag must have inflated when he came through the roundabout.’
- ‘The air bag assembly comprises an inflator for generating gas and an air bag cushion deployable upon generation of gas by the inflator.’
- ‘But data from the air bag's electronic data recorder showed he was travelling at 114 mph seconds before the crash.’
- ‘An air bag typically inflates in less than 0.1 sec and then deflates slowly over the next few seconds.’
- ‘His air bag deployment automatically signaled his location to an emergency response unit, and help is on the way.’
- ‘If an occupant is improperly seated and resting his or her head against a window, the air bag is designed to slide between the glass and occupant as it inflates.’
- ‘If the associations we report are causal it may be that men, who are generally heavier than women, overcome the protective cushion of the air bag and strike the steering wheel more readily.’
- ‘The system will also automatically activate if the air bag inflates, indicating a possible accident.’
- ‘For a child with special needs who requires frequent observation and must ride in the front seat, the vehicle should be equipped with an on/off switch for the air bag.’
- ‘If the system senses a child seat, distinguishable by the flat pattern, it will disable the air bag on the passenger side.’
- ‘Automobiles run cleaner and safer, with the invention of the catalytic converter and the air bag.’
- ‘He was wearing a seat belt and his air bag deployed.’
- ‘The data recorder is part of the sensor in every vehicle that triggers the air bag in a crash.’
- ‘By the way, as the air bag fills the hub of the steering wheel, becoming familiar with the location of the horn buttons takes some time.’
- ‘My side-impact air bag deployed and cushioned some of the blow.’
- ‘This network of sensors sends signals to a black box imbedded in the vehicle that controls seatbelt tension and air bag velocity which makes the crash much less jarring for all the occupants of the vehicle.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.