Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A rifle which fires pellets using compressed air.
- ‘Pellet selection ultimately comes down to which pellet is most accurate in your air rifle.’
- ‘A woman on disability benefits narrowly missed being hurt by a youth firing an air rifle.’
- ‘He had entered through the shrubbery and had shot an air rifle at the bungalow, Mr. B. returning the fire.’
- ‘A scope is almost mandatory for an air rifle, and airgun scopes can have great profit margins.’
- ‘The pellet fired from an air rifle lodged just centimetres from Lee's eye socket.’
- ‘After losing some money to robbers and conmen, Edwards bought an air rifle and air pistol to ‘protect himself’.’
- ‘This week, police were called after an air rifle pellet was fired at a classroom window while youngsters were having lessons.’
- ‘A BOY, aged 14, was shot in the back with an air rifle as a gunman fired randomly from an upper-floor flat in York.’
- ‘A local man had to have an operation to remove a pellet, which police believe might have been fired from an air rifle.’
- ‘They found a .22 calibre carbine and a powerful air rifle were not in the armoury where they should have been stored.’
- ‘Vandals have fired an air rifle at the windows of a pre-school.’
- ‘The four day meet will have various air rifle and air pistol events in both men's and women's sections.’
- ‘Months of suffering at children's hands drove a young householder to fire an air rifle into a street of youngsters, York magistrates heard.’
- ‘In an air rifle the projectile is supposedly driven down the rifling of the barrel by a source of gas other than that provided by a fast burning mixture.’
- ‘A 35-YEAR-OLD man who fired an air rifle after police were called in has been jailed for 18 months.’
- ‘But he stressed that, by their unanimous verdict, the jury had decided he should not have fired the air rifle.’
- ‘There were also allegations that an air rifle had been fired during chaotic scenes.’
- ‘A MAN who killed a friend in his flat when he fired a powerful air rifle at him, not realising it was loaded, has been convicted of his manslaughter.’
- ‘He said he fired the air rifle because he was ‘extremely frightened’ for himself and his wife.’
- ‘Reports of an air rifle pellet being fired at school.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.