Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device for pumping air into or out of an enclosed space.
- ‘I'm not going to bore you with the details of what we did but I will say that I lugged the air pump and extension cord up from the basement.’
- ‘The crotch in his outfit can be inflated with an air pump.’
- ‘Cycloid's answer to this dilemma is an air pump that monitors and maintains tire pressure.’
- ‘You can fix your air pressure issues with the handy-dandy air pump located outside the building.’
- ‘OK… I'm gonna go get the air pump from Tate's room and then I'm gonna change for bed.’
- ‘Half of this is spent on the tank itself and other accessories like the air pump and decorations.’
- ‘The room is very quiet and the only real noise is the fan on the PC and the air pump on the fish tank.’
- ‘A car is parked under our window and has a air pump attached to it which is left to blow up the tyres while my neighbour and his mechanic friends work on another car.’
- ‘An air pump circulates a continuous flow of air through the device, replacing any air that is lost through the surface's pores.’
- ‘It was on the left, borne on a skillfully frame-mounted casting that relieved the boiler course of weight-carrying studs and balanced the air pump hanging similarly over the main driver on the right.’
- ‘A type of ‘reverse bellows’ was the first air pump.’
- ‘Also a motorcycle battery with a small air pump could also work.’
- ‘The main area of Boyle's interests were in chemistry but he had read of experiments conducted by von Guericke with the aid of an air pump and, knowing Hooke's skill with mechanical instruments, asked him if he could build one.’
- ‘The installation of an air pump and filter might have helped it live a little longer, but if it was of any benefit, it came too late.’
- ‘A tiny, battery-powered sounding device is placed inside this Spalding Infusion basketball in a cavity usually used for an air pump.’
- ‘An airhose went from her suit to an air pump inside.’
- ‘Pressure for filtration was generated with a small air pump.’
- ‘Those small shops comprising an air pump, a few tools and a tub of water, used to make a roaring business that fed many families.’
- ‘Instead they began to actively investigate natural phenomena with the help of mathematics and an array of new scientific instruments such as the telescope, the barometer, the air pump, the microscope and the thermometer.’
- ‘This was done mechanically, using an air pump on a time-switch.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.