Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any rank of officer in the RAF above that of group captain.
- ‘I am not directly involved with the fund myself, apart from regularly assisting a retired air officer who has worked for the fund voluntarily for about 10 years.’
- ‘I feel that the committee has been remiss in the allocation of funds and it would be a welcome gesture if each of those retired air officers on the committee who are receiving full pay were to make a considerable donation to the fund.’
- ‘The senior air officer should have the same dual staff and command status that is given the artillery commander in the infantry division.’
- ‘The tide really began to turn in July, however, with the appointment of Air Vice Marshal Sir Keith Park as air officer commanding.’
- ‘The papers were found in files kept by the British intelligence agency MI5 relating to a former British naval air officer who allegedly served as a spy for Japan during the 1920s and 1930s.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.