One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A body of air with horizontally uniform levels of temperature, humidity, and pressure.
- ‘During this period, every time a cold air mass from China moves south and the cold front at its leading edge passes over Taiwan, what follows the rains may be a large blanket of sand moving south in the atmosphere.’
- ‘The air mass bringing the coldest temperatures is the polar continental mass that comes in from the Soviet Union.’
- ‘For those who would like a technical explanation, as the sun approaches the horizon, its light has to pass through a greater air mass, including ozone, dust and water vapour.’
- ‘The anticyclonic ridge strengthened on its northern side (they can also strengthen on the southern side) and interrupted the full force of the colder air mass.’
- ‘Put simply, the appearance of a cloud depends mainly on two things; the stability of the air mass that the cloud forms in, and whether the cloud has ice particles or water droplets within it.’
- ‘The path taken by a cold air mass largely determines the location of a snowfall, and occasionally a northward-moving pool will bring snow along the Great Divide as far north as southern Queensland.’
- ‘The other process to consider is the temperature of the body that the air mass travels across.’
- ‘Once you get into that rain shadow region, the seeding effect cuts off quite dramatically, because you have a descending air mass and that modifies the cloud structure far more than the cloud seeding ever will do.’
- ‘The air mass only gives an indication of the type of weather which may occur.’
- ‘So just for everyone's information: These clouds are formed by the flow of wind across the mountains when the air mass is stable.’
- ‘The big variations come when a new air mass moves in.’
- ‘As they move eastward, moisture evaporates into the air, making the air mass more like a maritime tropical air mass.’
- ‘In summer, the air mass is more turbulent and cloudy.’
- ‘This usually forms when the air mass that is lifted is quite extensive, and can occur in most areas.’
- ‘Southwesterly drifts indicate a drier air mass is taking over.’
- ‘The cold air mass caused low temperatures along the Pacific coast.’
- ‘However, because the succeeding anticyclone progresses eastward quickly, the full force of the cold air mass will be thwarted in its northward push.’
- ‘If the pilot is flying in an air mass that is going up enough to overcome the current sink rate of the glider then this particular time interval is not counted when calculating their average speed while sinking gliding.’
- ‘This keeps the air mass above the continent cold, and in the cold and dark, clouds that contain chlorine can form in the polar stratosphere.’
- ‘The rotating air mass creates a high-pressure system throughout the region.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.