Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A sheet of light paper folded and sealed to form a letter for sending by airmail.
- ‘Some foreign air letters may have stamps all over them, just send them in ‘as is’.’
- ‘He always wrote on pale blue aerogramme paper (air letter sheets), the kind where you fold and lick the tabs on the top and sides, transforming them into simple but elegant envelopes.’
- ‘The more usual air letters and covers from Seychelles were however usually censored in the islands both by the Army and the RAF..’
- ‘When I left India and couldn't cook at all at 20 I started writing to my mother and she sent me back air letters, so I started with these air letters and began cooking.’
- ‘This was even more likely before fellow collectors started to pay attention to formula air letter sheets.’
- ‘I always make sure there are sufficient stamps and air letters to be sold to the public.’
- ‘For international destinations (excluding Japan): week of Dec. 3 for everything, including air letters and cards, air packages, global priority mail and international express mail.’
- ‘We are grateful to the people for the interest they showed in mailing air letters during this week.’
- ‘In addition to the convenience of departmental collection, your next day air letters qualify for a discounted rate.’
- ‘Other shipping methods (air letter rate, surface mail) available on application. The rate for Air Letter is shown below’
- ‘The back of the previous air letter is shown at right.’
- ‘Dispatch undeliverable air letters, aerogrammes, and air postcards bearing a return address to the appropriate air exchange office as if they were originating mail.’
- ‘Second day air letters and packages cost around two-thirds the price of next day service.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.