One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A powerful horn which produces sound by means of compressed air.
- ‘The air was cool and each sound of a train air horn excited me.’
- ‘The officials on their part should vigilantly keep a tab on drivers for drunken driving, over-speeding, hooting the air horn, refusing to dip the head light etc.’
- ‘Someone in the back is blowing an airhorn.’
- ‘Even the truckers acknowledged the quality of their performance by blowing air horns in applause.’
- ‘The phrases noted above are like blasts from an air horn or plastic trumpet, blaring technical correctness.’
- ‘The air horn sounds a blast that can be heard over the roar of aircraft engines.’
- ‘The 3-4 age group took off at the sound of the air horn to collect the eggs in their division.’
- ‘Only a dog's faint bark or the occasional musical air-horn of a lorry at the junction would break the tranquillity.’
- ‘Several of the group was carrying placards and others were blowing whistles and air horns.’
- ‘Vehicular horns are also a major source of sound pollution, as the law only prohibits the use of air-horns within city limits.’
- ‘I get so excited at the sound of that air horn so far off down the tracks.’
- ‘On no account should there be any overspeeding, overtaking or the use of air horns.’
- ‘Instead, I waited patiently for the impatient truck driver behind her to give her a blast on his air horn.’
- ‘We have had several announcements about banning of air horns or double horns or multi-toned horns to check air pollution.’
- ‘For about 30 minutes they parade around and around with lights blazing and air-horns blaring.’
- ‘This combat goes on for a few curious minutes before an air horn signals a change in the drill rotation.’
- ‘Fireworks were set off over the family home and airhorns sounded outside in the middle of the night.’
- ‘Every child who goes through the turnstiles on Saturday will be presented with a brand new, free air horn.’
- ‘Soon, I heard a train air horn wail downtown.’
- ‘After a forty-five minutes delay the lights came on and the familiar two blasts of the air horns sounded and we began to roll.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.