One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A powerful horn that produces sound by means of compressed air.
- ‘The air horn sounds a blast that can be heard over the roar of aircraft engines.’
- ‘The officials on their part should vigilantly keep a tab on drivers for drunken driving, over-speeding, hooting the air horn, refusing to dip the head light etc.’
- ‘We have had several announcements about banning of air horns or double horns or multi-toned horns to check air pollution.’
- ‘Instead, I waited patiently for the impatient truck driver behind her to give her a blast on his air horn.’
- ‘The air was cool and each sound of a train air horn excited me.’
- ‘Soon, I heard a train air horn wail downtown.’
- ‘Only a dog's faint bark or the occasional musical air-horn of a lorry at the junction would break the tranquillity.’
- ‘I get so excited at the sound of that air horn so far off down the tracks.’
- ‘On no account should there be any overspeeding, overtaking or the use of air horns.’
- ‘Fireworks were set off over the family home and airhorns sounded outside in the middle of the night.’
- ‘Even the truckers acknowledged the quality of their performance by blowing air horns in applause.’
- ‘Several of the group was carrying placards and others were blowing whistles and air horns.’
- ‘For about 30 minutes they parade around and around with lights blazing and air-horns blaring.’
- ‘After a forty-five minutes delay the lights came on and the familiar two blasts of the air horns sounded and we began to roll.’
- ‘Vehicular horns are also a major source of sound pollution, as the law only prohibits the use of air-horns within city limits.’
- ‘This combat goes on for a few curious minutes before an air horn signals a change in the drill rotation.’
- ‘The phrases noted above are like blasts from an air horn or plastic trumpet, blaring technical correctness.’
- ‘Every child who goes through the turnstiles on Saturday will be presented with a brand new, free air horn.’
- ‘Someone in the back is blowing an airhorn.’
- ‘The 3-4 age group took off at the sound of the air horn to collect the eggs in their division.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.