Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A substance or device for making the air in a room smell fresh.
air freshener, deodorizer, fumigantView synonyms
- ‘Swiftly, she hid the remaining joints and doused the room in air-freshener.’
- ‘‘Put air-fresheners in the bathrooms and remove smelly football boots and socks from the bedrooms,’ said Gallagher.’
- ‘Mid West Road Safety officer Terri-Anne Pettet said drivers would receive reminders about the dangers of drink driving through car litter bags, stickers, air-fresheners and other materials.’
- ‘When we plug in an air-freshener or spray something in a room, it's not so much because we want to experience an aroma - it's because we want to get rid of another.’
- ‘The fragrance of the facilities has been looked after with air-freshener.’
- ‘To make your air-freshener spray, first choose from any of the following essential oils, listed in descending order of their antiseptic powers: thyme, clove, lavender, peppermint, rosemary and eucalyptus.’
- ‘Harking back to earlier in the week, I can now understand why the air-freshener spray in the toilets at work has ‘Do not inhale’ written on it.’
- ‘The yulan belongs to the magnolia family and in addition to being a popular subject of Chinese watercolor paintings, the fragrant flower is often used as an air-freshener and for offerings to deities in temples.’
- ‘For airborne nasties use the following air-freshener spray.’
- ‘While Barry loaded muddy wellingtons and overalls into more bin-liners, Michael sprayed the workshop liberally with an aerosol air-freshener.’
- ‘By 6:51, I escape the thick fumes, sealing myself into another smell hell, the air-freshener biosphere of a New York taxi.’
- ‘I grabbed the air-freshener and began reciting in this goofy TV announcer voice Pete and I used to do: Eliminates odors!’
- ‘An expectant sense of wonder flooded the car like air-freshener.’
- ‘‘Perhaps some air-freshener,’ I muttered as Ally inspected her nails in the front seat.’
- ‘The luxury lavatory has even been embellished with an automatic air-freshener.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.