Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The layer of air supporting a hovercraft or similar vehicle.
- ‘Sixth, the use of air cushion landing craft in the course of an amphibious assault operation seriously complicates the effective engagement of marine striking echelons as they approach the coast.’
- ‘This involves the use of specialized ships that can simultaneously launch helicopter forces and seaborne landing craft and air cushion landing craft.’
- ‘The hovercraft had an air cushion under them that could be easily ruptured.’
- ‘The hovercraft, or air cushion vehicle, was patented by British engineer Christopher Cockerell.’
- ‘Thanks to air cushions like the ones found on hovercraft, the vessel will be able to cruise on rivers and seas at 25 mph - twice the speed of current freighters.’
- ‘These flying vehicles can move near the surface of ground or water using the air cushion at a speed up to 160 km/h.’
- ‘They're coming ashore on landing craft air cushions, the LCATs they're called.’
- ‘The shallow draft on air cushion gives the advantage of access to shallow coastal waters.’
- ‘Even so, work is currently in hand to study the possibility of creating air cushion landing craft with higher capacity and protected by light armor, but this work is only at a conceptual analysis stage now.’
- ‘The air cushion on the catamaran is contained between the sidehulls and end seals, and is generated by installed lift fans.’
- ‘When the air cushion is strong enough, the operator steps onto the hovercraft platform and waits a few seconds until the air cushion becomes powerful enough to cause uniform levitation.’
- ‘An air cushion between the two hulls is created as the catamaran moves through the water.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.