One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device for reducing the temperature of air, typically inside a building.
air conditioner, ventilator, blower, aeratorView synonyms
- ‘In defence of the air coolers they are pretty quiet but they are still the loudest items in my system.’
- ‘Thanks to its clever design and the use of high-quality components the system proved to be much more efficient than any air cooler.’
- ‘Many, if not most, households have televisions and some have air coolers.’
- ‘The first mechanical air cooler was invented in 1902 through the tinkering of Willis Haviland Carrier - considered the "Father of Cool" by many.’
- ‘The cargo nearest the air coolers would be chilled and the cargo furthest from them would ripen.’
- ‘When you're ready to start shopping, check out a few different models of air conditioners and air coolers and discuss your particular needs with a reputable dealer before making your decision.’
- ‘Last week she stayed put in her room, while the clatter of spoons and dishes, the noise of loud music and the drone of air coolers from the ground floor below made her restless.’
- ‘Unlike air coolers that put moisture into the air, air conditioners actually remove moisture, so they are a plus in humid climates and a minus in dry ones.’
- ‘In that year, only 49 per cent of urban households possessed a TV; 15 per cent owned a refrigerator and 8 per cent had air coolers.’
- ‘This year marks the hundredth anniversary of the mechanized air cooler, a device that has changed the American landscape.’
- ‘There has been a surge in power usage in the domestic sector mainly due to the use of air conditioners, air coolers, fans and ice factories working overtime.’
- ‘When fans prove to be inadequate to give you the much-required airy atmosphere, air coolers and air-conditioners become the ideal solution for braving the summer.’
- ‘Considering the cost of this product, we suggest looking into a performance air cooler for half the price.’
- ‘Air coolers these days have reached a sort of an upper limit on their performance.’
- ‘While a portable air conditioner has more cooling capacity than an air cooler, it has the disadvantage of needing to be vented to the outside.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.