One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A high rank of officer in the RAF, above air marshal and below Marshal of the RAF.
- ‘The ranks of air vice-marshal (rear admiral or major general), air marshal (vice admiral or lieutenant general), and air chief marshal (admiral or general) were introduced.’
- ‘In January 1944 he became Commander-in-Chief RAF Middle East and the following February took up the post of air Commander-in-Chief for South-East Asia Command with the rank of acting air chief marshal.’
- ‘The families are now bracing themselves for a result, as convinced of their cause as the air chief marshal is of his.’
- ‘As an air chief marshal - a rank equivalent to a general in the army and an admiral in the navy - he rose right to the top of the RAF command structure, outranked only by his boss, the Marshal of the Royal Air Force.’
- ‘He was recently announced as the next Chief of Defence Force, a position he will take up on July 4, on promotion to air chief marshal.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.