One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A high rank of officer in the RAF, above air marshal and below Marshal of the RAF.
- ‘As an air chief marshal - a rank equivalent to a general in the army and an admiral in the navy - he rose right to the top of the RAF command structure, outranked only by his boss, the Marshal of the Royal Air Force.’
- ‘He was recently announced as the next Chief of Defence Force, a position he will take up on July 4, on promotion to air chief marshal.’
- ‘In January 1944 he became Commander-in-Chief RAF Middle East and the following February took up the post of air Commander-in-Chief for South-East Asia Command with the rank of acting air chief marshal.’
- ‘The families are now bracing themselves for a result, as convinced of their cause as the air chief marshal is of his.’
- ‘The ranks of air vice-marshal (rear admiral or major general), air marshal (vice admiral or lieutenant general), and air chief marshal (admiral or general) were introduced.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.