One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A shot which misses the basket and backboard entirely.
- ‘He hustled to the last, though, and shot an air ball, missing basket, board and all, as the horn sounded.’
- ‘When she didn't take a shot until five minutes into the game and later shot an air ball, no one faulted her.’
- ‘Sloppy would be the most accurate word to describe the mess of air balls, blown layups and turnovers.’
- ‘As nice as Ben was, he threw up one of the most astounding air balls from the line we've ever seen.’
- ‘He was the good-natured guy who shot all those air balls and then sank a perfect basket.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.