One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A shot which misses the basket and backboard entirely.
- ‘He was the good-natured guy who shot all those air balls and then sank a perfect basket.’
- ‘He hustled to the last, though, and shot an air ball, missing basket, board and all, as the horn sounded.’
- ‘When she didn't take a shot until five minutes into the game and later shot an air ball, no one faulted her.’
- ‘Sloppy would be the most accurate word to describe the mess of air balls, blown layups and turnovers.’
- ‘As nice as Ben was, he threw up one of the most astounding air balls from the line we've ever seen.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.