Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Directed or operating from an aircraft in flight to the surface of the sea or other body of water:‘air-to-surface missiles’
- ‘China has four different submarine-building programs and a massive inventory of surface-to-surface and air-to-surface missiles.’
- ‘The missile, an air-to-surface warhead developed in the past few years, is finally ready for action.’
- ‘The anti-surface version is able to carry a range of air-to-surface missiles, including sea-skimming anti-ship missiles.’
- ‘The radar has ten air-to-surface and ten air-to-ground modes for navigation fixing and weapon aiming.’
- ‘American tactical air doctrine had not changed very much, notwithstanding the progress made in both air-to-air and air-to-surface weapons.’
- ‘The NATO Frigate Helicopter can be armed with anti-submarine torpedoes, air-to-surface missiles and air-to-air missiles.’
- ‘‘We've got the best munitions with the best storage in the Air Force, and it's always ready to go wherever and whenever it's needed,’ said an officer.’
- ‘These included components for air-to-surface missiles, aircraft machine guns, armoured personnel carriers, combat aircraft, torpedoes and combat helicopters.’
- ‘There can be hundreds of sorties on a daily basis to deliver massed strikes with precision air-to-surface missiles without flying above enemy territory.’
- ‘On average, my pilots employed air-to-surface weapons twice on 85 missions during our squadron's 24-week deployment.’
- ‘As warnings were broadcast, the Mirage fired two Exocet air-to-surface missiles.’
- ‘It is a guidance kit that converts unguided free-fall bombs into capable and cost-effective air-to-surface smart weapons.’
- ‘The new missile will fill a perceived gap in longer range air-to-surface defence capabilities following the retirement of the F - 111s and introduction of their replacements.’
- ‘These older aircraft configured to carry air-to-surface missiles were reconfigured to carry the new supersonic missile.’
- ‘The F / A - 18 is equipped with a range of precision weapons including air-to-air and air-to-surface missiles, laser-guided bombs and conventional bombs in addition to its 20 mm nose cannon.’
- ‘It is effective against very small and very fast targets such as air-to-surface attack missiles.’
- ‘Some costs are straightforward, such as the time, money, and political clout required to develop suitable air-to-surface ranges, carve out military operating areas, and provide and allocate training munitions and sorties.’
- ‘At the same time, unmanned offensive air weapons, precision-weapon warheads and air-to-surface missiles are always within the range of military air defense weapons when the former engage protected installations.’
- ‘For ground attack, the aircraft can be armed with rocket pods, bombs, cluster bombs or air-to-surface missiles.’
- ‘‘I don't think there's any other organization in the world that takes care of family like the Air Force,’ said a program manager at the air-to-surface munitions directorate.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.