One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially of an engine) cooled by means of a current of air.
- ‘With the simple air-cooled engine and shaft drive this is a bike which should give years of service with minimal expense.’
- ‘Piston engines of the Second World War were of two types, air-cooled radial engines and liquid-cooled in-line engines.’
- ‘The Navy reasoned that air-cooled radial engines offered added reliability, especially when operating over water.’
- ‘The Americans were developing larger tanks, with cast-armour hulls and turrets, better guns, and air-cooled diesel engines.’
- ‘Sitting almost upright on one of its floats, only the severe damage to the front end, where its 14-cylinder, air-cooled radial engine was partially torn away on impact, betrays the violence that saw this aircraft downed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.