Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cat lover.
- ‘As owners of two of the cats which feature on the CD, they are naturally ailurophiles.’
- ‘It's cute but best appreciated by ailurophiles.’
- ‘Either way, I don't think you'll find much help on science fiction related groups, where we tend to be ailurophiles for the most part.’
- ‘Get any two ailurophiles together and the discussion will inevitably turn to litter boxes and litter.’
- ‘Among other notable ailurophiles were Byron, Anatole France, Montaigne and Lope de Vega, known as the Spanish Shakespeare.’
- ‘I'm sending a copy to my veterinarian, to the cat club in the retirement community where I live and to other ailurophiles.’
- ‘For a whole new generation of ailurophiles, here is a book to treasure, a wonderfully entertaining, humorous, and often surprisingly moving look into the world of cats.’
- ‘The ailurophiles say that they do not anthropomorphize cats but, rather, that cats have such human qualities as they may condescend to adopt for their own selfish purposes.’
- ‘Newcomer Simon's exploration of the real-life relations between women and cats gives her and her complicated heroine an edge on other ailurophiles.’
- ‘A group of cat breeders, exhibitors, show judges, veterinarians, and other ailurophiles (cat lovers) throughout the world, representing most cat breeds and clubs worldwide.’
- ‘A chat group for ailurophiles; there is a page for photo albums, also provides a newsletter for caring cat guardians, and has a lot of cool links to check out listed at the groupsite too.’
- ‘If the outdoors is too dangerous, ailurophiles often forgo feline companionship rather than confine a cat indoors.’
1930s: from Greek ailuros ‘cat’ + -phile.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.