Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An illness, typically a minor one.‘the doctor diagnosed a common stomach ailment’
illness, disease, disorder, sickness, affliction, malady, complaint, infection, upset, condition, infirmity, indisposition, malaise, troublebug, viruslurgyView synonyms
- ‘A man hunched over with pain and troubled by a lengthy list of illnesses and ailments.’
- ‘Meanwhile, ambulances are rushing to see patients with minor ailments.’
- ‘The hospital has blamed patients with minor ailments for causing the long delays but stressed lives were not put in danger.’
- ‘Another problem I have is with people who grossly exaggerate minor ailments just to get extended time off work.’
- ‘The root of the plant is a remedy for rheumatism, asthma and other respiratory ailments.’
- ‘However, the harsh reality is that cures are still lacking for many common ailments, such as cancer and obesity.’
- ‘He may be successful without other ailments like fever, common cold and whatever.’
- ‘Patients with diabetes can develop other ailments such as heart or kidney disease.’
- ‘Along the way, minor ailments were treated and hypochondria dispelled, with adept matter of factness.’
- ‘Bone and joint ailments such as arthritis and rheumatism are often reported too.’
- ‘Every centre deals with common ailments and can give you advice on what to do about non-urgent conditions.’
- ‘Medical treatment, even treatment for minor ailments, does not fall within that category of events.’
- ‘I seem to be going through one of those phases in life where minor ailments pile on top of one another in a seemingly continuous stream.’
- ‘There are some alternatives for ailments such as diabetes and arthritis as well.’
- ‘Who provides nourishment to the fowls in the air and who attends to their ailments and illness?’
- ‘Respiratory infections, eye disease and bronchial ailments are common.’
- ‘Then they died of typhoid, malaria and liver ailments in addition to starvation.’
- ‘There is an increase in respiratory ailments, flu and accidents due to the bad weather.’
- ‘The personnel would be screened for blood pressure, diabetes and heart ailments.’
- ‘It advocates that you need not run to a doctor for minor ailments, stop and look in your kitchen instead.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.